Kitesurfing is the activity of surfing on a body of water powered only by the wind itself, which you harness and control with the aid of a parachute-like kite.
Your feet are strapped onto the board and you wear a harness which is attached to a kite with some fairly complex rigging. Thus you can control your velocity and direction by controlling the position of the kite relevant to the prevailing wind at the time.
Kitesurfing is a challenging and rewarding sport that is growing hugely in popularity worldwide. With kilometers of beautiful coastline and inland dams and lakes to choose from, South Africa is perfectly positioned to learn and avance in the sport of kitesurfing.
The following considerations are important when selecting your first Kitesurfing Equipment:
- Your skill-level
- Your weight
- Area of kitesurfing application (Flat water, wave or both)
- Purchase from a dealer in your proximity, who can offer best advice and upgrade your board later
- Well-known brands, like Airush fetch much better re-sell values than new and unknown brands
- Well-know brands, like Airush offer manufacturer warranty's on new equipment purchased
- Well-known brands, like Airush Kiteboarding spend millions in R&D, use finest material, have the highest quality assurance
Give kitesurfing a try. It's healthy, improves your fitness, works your core muscles, burns calories like nothing else and allows for hours of fun in the waves or on flat water.